Monday, January 12, 2009

Step Two - done



All right, I am still on track for Saturday. I got the warriors and guards primed, then found I had to touch up the primer job on the rangers. Sad reality when dealing with the Zen of the Tank Brush is that you HAVE to have a smooth coat of black primer. The main point is to use the primer as shadows, and if your shadows are grey or silver the effect just isn't quite the same. So after touching up the primer coats I played 45 minutes of Mass Effect. Mmmm, video RPGs... so addicting.

When my timer went off I shut the game down and brought in the primed models. I touched up their primer coats as well, then set to work on the rangers. I tank brushed them, then painted the bases of the warriors while my wife and I watched a DVD. Finally I block painted the rangers' cloaks with Orkhide Shade, and now I'm uploading.

Interesting thing - it took me almost as long to paint the cloaks as it did the rest of the rangers. That's the beauty of the Zen of the Tank Brush, and since Rangers of Gondor were the first models I learned the tank brush technique on, I feel it is appropriate to do a bit of a step by step comparison with them.

The first stage you need to have a bit of a wet brush. I put a drop of Scorched Brown paint on my tile palette and smeared a bit around with the tank brush until it was smearing and I could see the tile through it. I then dragged the brush over the models, which were left with a solid basecoat of paint while leaving the low areas shaded black. Here is the result. This step took me about 15 minutes, or just over two minutes per model. If I wasn't as fussy, I could have done it in half the time.



After that, I did a heavy drybrush/light overbrush using Beastial Brown. There was still quite a bit on there, but as you can see from the pictures the effect ended up being pretty subtle. This step took me almost exactly 5 minutes for all of them - I was making ravioli in the kitchen and the timer went off just as I finished this step.



So in about 20 minutes you've got 7 models that just needs a little detail and you can have very playable figures! This is an awesome technique for speed painting. My next step is to do a little line highlighting with the Beastial Brown to accentuate portions of the model plus the detail work (and of course the highlighting of the cloaks). I may also play around with brown washes in order to blend any highlighting I do in better, but I'll wait until after Saturday to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment